Today is an exciting time for EMC! With this announcement, EMC is now delivering support across our technology portfolio and helping customers transform their Microsoft IT environments to Windows Server 2012, simplifying cloud management and maximizing quality of service.
A quick summary of what EMC announced:
- New EMC VSPEX Private Cloud for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V Fast Track Edition, available exclusively through our partners, designed to accelerate the journey to cloud computing
- Broad storage platform support of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 to optimize performance and scalability of transactional and “big data” applications
- Self-service cloud management capabilities to empower Microsoft administrators with visibility and control of underlying storage infrastructure resources
- Maximized quality of service through enhanced data protection and security across Microsoft application workloads in the cloud
With this announcement, EMC is offering a robust set of technologies, solutions and services spanning storage, automated management, replication, backup and security that will be ready within 90 days of Microsoft general availability for Microsoft Windows Server 2012. This breadth of support will enable customers to leverage best in class EMC technology and expertise with Windows Server 2012 functionality to deploy cloud infrastructures to meet changing business requirements; minimize downtime and maximize cost efficiencies, thus allowing customers to confidently protect and secure their Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and Private Cloud environments.
So what does this mean for customers?…..EMC is now offering Windows Server 2012 customers the power to choose the most appropriate storage technology including VNX, VMAX and Isilon, to support their unique requirements…. And also has expanded VSPEX support to include Windows Server 2012.
- The EMC VSPEX Private Cloud for Hyper-V Fast Track Edition, available today exclusively through EMC’s channel Partners, is designed to accelerate the journey to cloud computing. EMC VSPEX Private Cloud for Hyper-V Fast Track Edition is designed to deliver predictable performance and significantly reduce the planning, sizing and configuration burdens of adopting private cloud or end-user computing environments. Built on EMC’s award-winning VNXe™ unified storage system, Cisco UCS Server -and Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft Hyper-V, this VSPEX configuration allows customers to simplify deployment, improve operational efficiency, and significantly lower management costs.
- EMC VNX support for Microsoft Server 2012 is optimized for virtualizedapplications over both block and file protocols. The VNX series is designed to take advantage of the latest innovation in Flash drive technology, maximizing the storage system’s performance and efficiency while minimizing cost per GB.
- EMC VMAX support for Microsoft Server 2012 enables customers to take advantage of the superior high capacity,
availability and scalability replication, and tiering functionality offered by Symmetrix for Microsoft Private Cloud environments. This expanded support enables customers to confidently consolidated, virtualize and transform mission critical applications to a cloud environment.
- EMC’s industry leading Isilon scale-out NAS solutions have long set the standard for addressing the challenges of managing large, rapidly growing file-based and unstructured data environments. EMC extends this leadership position with support for Windows Server 2012 enabling customers the ability to address the challenges of large-scale and rapidly growing virtualized file stores by providing a highly scalable, available, and easily managed network attached storage (NAS) solution designed to consolidate services.
- With support for Windows Server 2012, EMC VFCache and EMC Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST), will help customers’ dynamically tune Windows Server 2012 environments to meet optimal performance and cost requirements of virtualized applications and Private Cloud environments.
- EMC PowerPath gives Windows Server 2012 users higher performance and availability by optimizing I/O paths and by providing automated path management and failover.
EMC’s expanded support enables customers to leverage the powerful benefits of an EMC infrastructure in conjunction with the latest functionality in Windows Server 2012 (including Microsoft Server Message Block (SMB) 3.0, Off Load Data Transfer (ODX) and Thin provisioning) to increase utilization and ROI of both investments in software and infrastructure by:
- Highly available and high performing EMC SANs improve application deployments utilizing Windows file shares
- Accelerating and optimizing the storage utilization by offloading common resource intensive activities, such as file copy operations to storage arrays.
- Optimizing storage utilization to ensure that storage allocations are released when no longer required by the application or host.
Self-Service Cloud Management Increases Productivity
EMC has also expanded Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft System Center support for EMC Storage Integrator (ESI), EMC App Sync, EMC Solutions Enabler and EMC SMI-S Provider management tools, allowing EMC and Microsoft customers to simplify management and empower more self-service automation in the Private Cloud. EMC has made it much easier for Application and Windows Administrators to provision, replicate and manage storage infrastructure. EMC’s investments also ensure Windows and Application Administrators the ability to leverage tools they already know to increase productivity.
- Expanded EMC Storage Integrator (ESI) for Windows Server 2012 enables Windows administrators more autonomy and self-service management of storage provisioning in physical and virtual environments by simplifying the mapping and provisioning of storage for an application using simple, wizard-based steps or through PowerShell capabilities for the Windows Server 2012 platform.
- Expanded EMC AppSync™ support for Windows Server 2012 offers a simple, self-service SLA-driven approach for protecting virtualized Microsoft applications in VNX deployments. After defining service plans (i.e. Gold, Silver, Bronze), application owners can protect production data and recover data quickly with item-level granularity. AppSync also provides an application protection monitoring service that generates alerts when the SLAs are not met.
- EMC storage will also integrate with Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 and Windows Server 2012 using EMC Solution Enabler and EMC’s support for SMI-S in a Windows Server 2012 environment. This integration with SCVMM allows Windows Administrators to discover and provision EMC storage. EMC support will also extend to enable command line access and easy scripting of many common storage tasks using Windows PowerShell and can also be used with the newly enhanced File and Storage Services role in Windows Server 2012 Server Manager.
Maximize Cloud Quality Of Service with Data Protection And Security
And the good news continues …. EMC also announced broad data protection and security support for Windows Server 2012 including EMC Avamar, EMC NetWorker, EMC Data Domain, EMC RecoverPoint and RSA NetWitness – ensuring that EMC and Microsoft customers can confidently deploy a centralized cloud infrastructure:
- EMC Avamar supports Windows Server 2012 and Windows applications, in both virtual and physical environments, enabling fast, efficient backup and recovery through a complete software and hardware solution. Equipped with integrated deduplication technology, Avamar reduces backup time and network traffic by only storing unique data changes, while always maintaining full, backup images for rapid, single-step restore.
- EMC Networker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across IT environments to deliver optimal performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard critical business data, enabling Microsoft Application Owners and Windows Administrators to simplify backup across applications and utilize a common management interface for centralized control and easier backup management.
- EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems complete backups faster for data and applications running on Windows Server 2012 and also lower the cost of backup by reducing the amount of disk storage needed to retain and protect data by 10-30x.
- EMC RecoverPoint provides a single solution that provides continuous data protection with multiple recovery points that lets Microsoft Application Owners and Windows Administrators recover and restart applications running in Windows Server 2012 environments instantly to a specific point in time. Additionally, RecoverPoint enables Windows and Application administrators the ability to protect Microsoft applications with bi-directional synchronous and asynchronous replication and DVR-like recovery in physical, virtual, and cloud infrastructures.
- EMC Data Protection Advisor provides detailed analysis and reporting for backup and recovery environments reducing complexity, allowing Microsoft administrators the ability to manage service levels and monitor backup performance across EMC and non-EMC backup environments.
- With RSA NetWitness support for Windows Server 2012, EMC and Microsoft customers are able to improve trust in their organizations IT systems and Cloud by deploying a security analytics system that improves detection, investigation, and remediation of security threats on the organization’s network and systems. RSA NetWitness provides EMC and Microsoft customers with enterprise wide situational awareness that provides comprehensive enterprise visibility by collecting and analyzing network sessions, log data, and real time threat intelligence. This enables organizations to better detect and respond to advanced threats, malware, and other security threats.
I encourage you to check back to see more blogs and information on our support for Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft Private Cloud. We will be publishing a lot of technical information over the next few weeks and months. I also encourage you to join our ECN community: http://Everything Microsoft @ EMC